Friday 6 March 2015

INSULIN AND WEIGHT MANAGEMENT!




When my endocrinologist place me on insulin, he said "you can have whatever you want, just make sure you take enough insulin to cover for it". I was the happiest girl...I thought I could have pops, ice-cream and all the sweet things i liked. Two weeks on i noticed i started gaining weight but i just thought it was because my numbers got better and finally I'm getting healed! I went for my appointment at the diabetes clinic and the nurse said, "oh Wemmy, you gaining weight you need to watch it". I was confused and hit google, searching if insulin caused weight gain and the answer was a big fat YES! I was really upset no one told me. I went off insulin and said that's it I'm done with this diabetes thing.

Again, my parents counselled me and pleaded i go back on insulin, My numbers went crazy, so I had to go back on insulin but i did a lot of research on insulin and weight management.

I have been able to keep away some of the weight by:


  • Eating healthy: I only stock my fridge and pantry with fruits, vegetables, lots of protein and some granola bars for my lows. I try to drink lots of water. I cut down on my carb intake. Replaced rice with cauliflower, pasta with zucchini. Its very expensive and time consuming to eat healthy but i really try my best. I also reduced the rate at which I eat out. Of course I have my cheat days but for the most part I keep it healthy. 



  • I try my best not to skip meals and also eat at the same time everyday. This is very hard for me because I have different schedule everyday. But as much as i can, i do this.



  • I stay active. I go to the gym 4 times a week and I walk a lot. If I'm gonna take any carb, I usually do that and then hit the gym. I really don't enjoy going to the gym, so I go for the fun drop in fitness classes  (zumba, cardio dance, pilates...etc) 
I find that with healthy diet and exercise, I really don't use as much insulin as I should. Of course i have days when my blood sugar just won't go down and I have to use even more insulin. But managing diabetes doesn't have any fixed rule, you keep trying different things and what works for A might not work for B. I just do what works me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment